Bras, undies, and body image – oh my!
When you look in the mirror, what do you see? When I was 19, I didn’t like what I saw. My inner dialogue was worse than a gaggle of mean girls. I was putting unfair expectations on my self, and my body. It wasn’t until I started as a bra fitter in a small shop in SoHo, Linda’s, and saw real women’s bodies – not the false perfection shown in magazines – that I started to appreciate the gift that I had been given. I also started to see the beauty in others. But what surprised me, was that almost every woman who walked into the bra fitting room – mother of three, young, old, supermodel, breast cancer patient – had something negative to say to themselves in the mirror. I was shocked! It was then, in 2005, that I decided to change the conversation I was having with my body and help other women do the same.
My favorite tool to do so is a bra fitting. I have literally fit thousands of women since my start. I’ve helped women in that family owned shop, and at fancy stores like Saks Fifth Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman when I worked for La Perla. Whether she spends $150 or $15 on a bra, all women face similar challenges when it comes to the mirror in the bra fitting room. And every woman deserves comfort and confidence in her bra.
I truly believe that a well fitting bra can help a woman stand tall, lead with her heart, and say hurray. And it’s not just about bra fitting. I want to help women say hurray inside, outside, and underneath. With articles, videos, events, and more, Hurray Kimmay is a go-to resource for women. Here, you’ll find things about:
- Inside: yoga, meditation, confidence, inner voice, inner beauty, healthy foods, women’s circles
- Outside: style, fashion, personal branding, shining from the inside out
- Underneath: bra fitting, undergarment solutions, lingerie style
In addition to Hurray Kimmay, I am spreading the word as the lingerie expert for About.com. There you’ll find in depth lingerie education and shopping articles. Plus, I am the owner of my own lingerie content marketing company, Hurray Media. I partner with brands to empower and encourage women with their undergarments and message.
I’m not just a bra fitter, writer, or marketer. I’m your soulful sister, on the same journey to saying hurray. I’m proud to share my journey with you, and I’m so excited that you’re here!
In my decade+ in this industry:
- I have fit thousands of women for bras, swimsuits, and more in AA-N cup sizes
- I have trained as a bra fitter at a family owned boutique, Linda the Bra Lady, and went on years later to run their marketing
- I was the brand merchandiser at Saks Fifth Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman for La Perla
- I have shared my expertise on TV, in magazines, and in commercials
- I have modeled a cup sized swimsuit in O Magazine
- Seen, first hand, how a bra fitting can change a woman’s life for the better
Other things I love:
- Western NY: I have lived in NYC since 2003, but grew up in Rochester, NY (almost Canada). I am a proud Buffalo Bills fan. Let’s go Buffalo!
- Singing: I sing on the daily. I have sung in a select jazz choir with Lady Gaga when she was still Stephanie, in a huge choir at Carnegie Hall, with the rock band The Yeah Yeah Yeahs in a “psycho opera”, and I sit on the board (and in the Soprano section) of The Astoria Choir.
- The Zoo: I had my first date with my honey at the Bronx Zoo, and we were married there years later – next to two rhinos. Show me a tapir, sea lion, or a lemur and I get super excited.
- Family: I have five brothers and one sister, plus nieces and nephews galore.
- Cats: In general, but especially my own. I am a proud (and ever so slightly obsessed) cat owner to a strawberry blonde cat named Sunny. You’ll see her pop up on my Instagram from time to time.